GreeneMath.com's Back Story:
GreeneMath.com was created by John Greene during the summer of 2008. While watching math tutorials on YouTube, he was inspired by content creators such as Sal Khan, and PatrickJMT. Being a graduate assistant at San Diego State University, a part time tutor, and a provider of educational resources to many students in the past decade, John decided to act. He started making his own YouTube tutorials, and after a year he was beginning to see some positive feedback. Over the course of the next year, the catalog grew. GreeneMath.com was created as a way to organize the YouTube content into the proper sequence. Now, you can start at the most basic Prealgebra, and continue in the natural order you would in any classroom setting. It is the goal of GreeneMath.com to provide a free and convenient way to learn math. Our mission is to provide free math help to anyone with an internet connection! Additionally, we are now creating quizzes, and practice sets to go along with our videos. This means more ways to help you study!
John Greene received a Bachelor of Science degree in Finance and Mathematics from Louisiana State University, and a Master of Arts degree in Economics from San Diego State University. During his studies, he spent many hours tutoring students in economics, math, and finance. Additionally, he was a graduate assistant at San Diego State University, and helped to teach several Econ 101, and 102 courses.
Can you make a private video? What if I have additional questions, or need clarification on a specific topic?
• No, we are following a general guideline for high school and college math. We will take your suggestions into account, but do not make specific videos. We also are not a homework service, so please do not ask us to make a video to show you how to solve your specific homework problem. If you have questions related to the problems in our videos, please email us. We would love to ensure that everyone has a full understanding of our videos.
Do you offer private tutoring via Skype or Google Hangouts? How much does it cost?
• No, we do not offer private tutoring of any form.
Why are some of the sections finished and others not? Why do certain pages all link up to the same video? What is taking so long?
• These are the most emailed questions, so let us save you some time and answer them here. This site is completely free. We do serve ads on the site and on YouTube, but the revenue is extremely small. John Greene and several other volunteers are involved in the creation, programming, editing, and all else on the site. We all work full time jobs, and most extremely full time 60+ hours per week. So we end up adding content when we can. In some cases videos are done but can't be edited for some time. In other cases, we have no time to simply update the site. We will as quickly as possible complete the remaining sections of the site, and move on to Geometry, Trigonometry, Calculus, and Statistics in that order.
• As for the video pages not linking, the site is built with a template and we always include one video in that template. So when the pages are first created they all link to the original video from the template. If you see a video that doesn't match the title, it's probably not a mistake. In most cases, it means we haven't yet had the time to update the specific page and link it to its corresponding video. In some cases the video is ready, you can email us for the unlisted YouTube link and if it's available you can watch it there.
Can I download your videos? I'm from some fake organization that helps kids in some made up country and we need your help!
• Seriously, you're from a major global organization that uses Hotmail for email? Can't spare the $1.95 for a company email? No, the content is already free and we want to be able to derive some revenue from its use. We've already had to take legal action against several parties for pirating our videos and selling them. We are all about helping those who need help in math, whether they have means or not, again that's why our content is COMPLETELY FREE ALREADY!
I love your project and want to help out. Please tell me what I can do to help out GreeneMath.com?
• First off for those of you who do actually help us out, we want to take a moment and thank you. Our project would not be possible without your support. We accept donations via our donation page. You can donate monthly or just once via PayPal. If you don't have any money, you can simply link to our website on social media. If you find a video particularly helpful, please embed the video on your page using YouTube's embed feature or simply share the YouTube link. Any traffic helps us, as our users grow, our revenue from donations and ads will grow. So even if you can't donate, spreading the word does indeed help the project.
What type of Hardware/Software do you use to create and edit the videos?
-> Dell XPS 8700
-> Blue Yeti Pro Microphone
-> Wacom Cintiq 24 HD Touch
-> Camtasia Studio
-> Windows Journal | Windows One Note
For any questions, comments, or concerns please email us at: admin(at)greenemath(dot)com